Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Undying Thirst: Descriptive Narrative.

Josh Lindsey
English-111-72A
Kim Schlene
09/20/2011
My Undying Thirst
            It was a dry, hot summer day; I could barely feel the icy air flow protruding from the air conditioning unit. The atmosphere was so humid and sticky that I didn't even feel like standing up. I could faintly hear the sound of cars driving by over the loud puttering of the air conditioner. I was sitting there on the stiff couch; I could feel one of the wooden boards that was holding the couch together pressing hard against my back. As the rough textured fabric of the sofa brushed up against my arms, I stopped thinking and realized that I was pretty miserable. I kept wondering every other minute if the air conditioner was even running correctly.
             It had to be at least ninety plus degrees in my scorching hot apartment. I had thought previously about escaping this place that was starting to take on the characteristics of the way hell itself is described. But, I was in no mood to move. It's like the heat was keeping me pressed down like an iron pressing down a piece of cloth. For a minute I thought I might actually be melting, but my common sense surfaced and I quickly dismissed the ridiculous idea.
            Something about my current situation just had to change. At the time I had no idea what I could possibly do to ease the extreme discomfort that I was suffering through. Then, it clicked; like a light bulb above a character's head in a cartoon. As I tried to swallow, I noticed my mouth felt like the Sahara Desert: very dry. Then it came to me faster than lightning striking the earth, I need a drink! The solution I had come up with was so simple, yet it sounded so perfect. I didn't understand why I hadn't thought of it earlier. The heat was probably getting to my head and making me delirious or something like that. My mind set had finally changed; I was unmotivated to move no more! I had a new goal in life and I had a problem that needed to be solved.
            Now that I had a goal, I had to think of a way to achieve it. I glanced over to the cluttered wooden coffee table right in front of me, my mind started swirling with adamant thoughts, such as: “Where can I find something to quench my undying thirst?,” “What sounds good right now?,” and “do I want to take a few big gulps of ice cold water?, or crack open a refreshing beer?.” After sitting and trying to organize my thoughts for a few more minutes, I still couldn't make up my mind about what I was going to do. After many minutes of sitting there I finally decided to get up and go take a look in the fridge to see what different beverages I had at my disposal. Like they always say, “the first step is the hardest”. However, before I could take the first step I would have to manage to stand up.
             I braced myself tightly and sat up straight from my previous slouched position. It was really hard to move in this intense heat that was smothering my supply of oxygen, but I still managed to sit up. I felt like a piece of Velcro being peeled from its backing. Shortly after, I stiffly planted my right foot on the hard wood floor. As I did this my bones started quivering from the fact that they hadn’t been used to moving for a few hours. My right knee started shaking, so I placed my right hand strategically on it to stop the intense shaking of my leg. Now it was time for the next step. Almost identical to the situation previously mentioned, I did the same with my left leg. This one didn't shake as much. Therefore, I was ready for what was about to be the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life: standing up. I proceeded to try to stand, but the first time was kind of a catastrophe. I stood, my legs gave out, I fell backwards onto the black hole of a couch that I have, and hit my knee on the grainy wood table in front of me. A very sharp pain shot through my knee and then through my upper thigh. Now I was back to step one. But, this time I was determined. I quickly placed both feet back on the ground strong and firmly, and stood straight up. I was extremely proud of myself at first, but after standing for a few seconds, the heat started getting to me again. It hit me like a swift punch to the face; I instantly wanted to go back to my save haven that most call a couch, but my stubborn brain decided that I was doing otherwise. I took the first horrific step, then the second; I glanced out of the corner of my eye and saw nothing but a black television screen glaring at me. I took a double take and saw the couch's reflection in the screen. It was so tempting but I had to refuse! There was no way I was going back after getting as far as I already was. Shortly after getting distracted, my mind was set back on the objective that I had originally briefed.
            Now it's time to continue taking the necessary steps required to get to my final solution. I started to get back to walking into the kitchen which seemed millions of miles away, when in actuality it was only a few feet away from where I was sitting before. As I was walking, I was trying to fight through the heat. It closely resembled embarking on a journey through a bowl of red Jell-O. By the time I managed to make it into the kitchen I was sweating profusely, my joints were weak and I was in fairly bad shape. I looked over and saw a pile of dishes that need to be cleaned stacked neatly in the sink, and I thought about switching my initial mission to washing those instead. Then, like an annoying conscience, a thought ran through my head that said, “Are you crazy?? You are very, very thirsty. You need to satisfy your dehydrated body before doing anything.”
            I eagerly pushed that foolish idea aside and turned to the refrigerator. It looked like a big, white, Holy Grail when I first spotted it. I was finally here, I was finally at the peak of the mountain, I was finally at the finish line of the race, I was so close. I slowly lifted my shaking arm and weakly gripped the handle of the valiant box of various foods and beverages whose job is to keep me nourished and hydrated. Now it was time for it to do its job, I didn't know if there was ever a human being that walked this earth that was as thirsty, hot, and dehydrated as I was at that particular moment in time. I pulled weakly on the handle, but I obviously didn't pull hard enough and the door didn't open. I then put my hand back on the handle, and just to make sure that it would open this time I also placed my free hand on the handle. This time I put all of the little strength I had into this pull and the fridge door swung open. I was then blinded by the light coming from inside; it was like opening a chest full of gold.

            My eyes instantly fell upon a bottle of water sitting on the bottom of shelf. I eagerly reached for it and pulled it out. It looked so beautiful in my hand. It was so cold my hand felt like it was starting to become frozen solid. There were beads of water dripping off the side of the delightful looking bottle. I then started to twist the cap off of the bottle. Due to the weakened state I was in, it took me a few tries to actually get the cap off. Finally, I got the cap off and lifted the bottle of icy water to my mouth to take a drink. It was the best tasting thing I’ve ever had. Just imagine, a desert wasteland getting drenched in a rain storm and then turning into a luscious rainforest, that's how my mouth was. After polishing off the full bottle, I tossed it into the wastebasket that was close by and I was finally refreshed. I felt like a new person, everything in life went from being miserable to actually seeming pretty perfect. I had a clear head and I was ready to continue my day. Then shortly after, I realized I had another predicament at hand, I had to make it back to the couch...

No comments:

Post a Comment